So I was really excited when I heard about this survey on Twitter, and the moment I read the questions I knew I had to do it myself. I love lists and questionnaires, because I’m just that much of a nerd. The End of Year Book Survey is hosted by Jamie at Perpetual Page Turner. I might make changes to this in the next few days, depending on what I read.
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
Well. Isn’t this hard? I read a whole lot of great books this year, but I think Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Arcadia Awakens by Kai Meyer (no relation haha), Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan, The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater, and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black are my favourites.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Ha. Hahaha. Allegiant by Veronica Roth.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Arcadia Awakens by Kai Meyer – I’ve been messaging people quotes and summaries and text-screaming at them to read it because IT’S AMAZING.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Sarah Dessen, Sarah Dessen, Sarah Dessen!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Well, I was never quite into contemporary before this year, and I loved Sarah Dessen’s The Truth About Forever!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
So many of these – but especially The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater and Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan. I will read these until I can recite conversations from them (which I have done with other books before. Oops.)
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
This one is really hard, because literally every cover in YA is beautiful. But I loved the artwork on this one (and it fits the book so perfectly!), and I was so upset when Untold didn’t match it.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
I know, I’m repeating, but I absolutely loved Kami Glass (and pretty much everyone) from Sarah Rees Brennan’s Unspoken.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente. Oh, wow, that book left me stunned.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Wow. This one is hard. Probably Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, because it was really easy to relate to, and got me thinking a lot about The Future.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson! It’s so popular, and I’d heard of it before, but I just never found the time to read it.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
From The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler:
Look, Juju.” Papi jabbed his finger into the table. “There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who let other people tell them what to do, and those who don’t let other people tell them what to do. Call him.”
“You’re telling me what to do.”
“That’s different. I’m telling you what’s already in your heart.”
Oh, man. How is it that a quote can make you laugh but also make tears spring up in your eyes at the same time?
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Longest: The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray, apparently! I didn’t even realise it was that long!
Shortest: Heart On A Chain by Cindy C. Bennett. And I didn’t even realise this was that short!
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.)
This was easy-peasy. Without a doubt, hands down, chapters 49 & 51 in The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater. No spoilers, but WHOA THOSE CHAPTERS.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc)
Romantic is Rosa and Alessandro from Arcadia by Kai Meyer. I absolutely refuse to accept anything else. ANYTHING.
Friendships are Gansey, Ronan, Adam and Noah from The Dream Thieves. Just don’t… don’t talk to me about those boys, because there’s a 9/10 chance I will cry.
Familial is the entire Glass family from The Lynburn Legacy. They give me feelings.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Not including series, probably The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
YA paranormal, as usual. How I have loved them and suffered because of them.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
This was hard! But I think I’ll say These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. Is it technically a debut? Whatever. Much love for that one!
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
So many of my favourites, but I’m gonna have to say Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente. She’s amazing, period.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
The entire Precious Stone trilogy! Such a laugh.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Skipping out on the Book Blogger section, because I’m new to the whole book blogging thing.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
So many of these! But I’m gonna have to say Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Another hard one! But it’s The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Well, since I’ve just started out, I think I’m mostly looking to meet a lot of new people and make friends! I hope I’ll be able to maintain this blog as regularly as I’d like… and just have fun on the whole! I hope I’ll be able to branch out my reading more next year as well.