Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This week’s Top Ten Tuesday is a freebie, and as I was scrolling down the (endless) top tens wondering what to pick, this one jumped out at me. Who doesn’t love kick-ass heroines? And what I like is that not all main girls have to take to sword and fists to be kick-ass. Most YA ‘kick-ass’ heroines are your usual tough-girl mould – which is great. Of course! But I think that there are so many ways to write kick-ass heroines, and what makes reading about them fun is that (like normal people) they’re not the same. That’s why I have some of the usual suspects on my list (hello, Rose Hathaway) but some others that wouldn’t immediately be labelled as kick-ass. But enough rambling. Here are some of my favourite badass heroines.
- Penryn from Penryn & the End of Days. Penryn is hands-down one of my favourite MCs ever. She’s hilarious, smart, loyal, and can certainly take care of herself.
- Cinder from The Lunar Chronicles. Cinder’s tough as nails (no pun intended; she’s a cyborg) and just the kind of heroine I’d root for all the way.
- Cammie from Gallagher Girls. All right, let’s ignore the first book (I always do) and Cammie’s pretty much the badass. A spy-in-training, she’s an expert at blending in and plotting little conspiracies with her fabulous friends.
- Kestrel from The Winner’s Trilogy. As I mentioned, Kestrel’s one of the non-fighting badasses. She’s wickedly smart and strategical, and that’s what I love about her.
- June from Legend. I feel like June’s outshone by her co-MC Day a lot. But she’s a crazy fighter, smart, and daring. I love her to bits.
- Rose from Vampire Academy. Rose is loyal to the end, a brilliant fighter, and at times, too reckless for her own good. She’s pretty much the quintessential YA badass.
- Suze from The Mediator. One of the few Meg Cabot characters that isn’t made straight from the mould. Suze is kickass and funny, and the most entertaining ghost hunter ever.
- Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle. I will never stop raving about Sophie. She never physically kicks ass, but she holds her own. In fact, she’s probably my favourite heroine ever.
- Lirael from Abhorsen. Though she isn’t in the first book, I fell in love with Lirael at first sight. Her adventures in necromancy (not what it sounds like, I swear) are so epic.
- Kat from Heist Society. Kat’s amazing – a master thief, insanely smart, and great at getting into small spaces. Her cons are the best escape from the real world.
Who are your favourite kick-ass heroines?