Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
EDIT: Turns out I misread the topic for this week…oops! I hope you’ll excuse this off-topic post.
The actual topic for this Tuesday is bookish things you want to quit; I especially want to quit reading these awful tropes.
- Reincarnation romance. Please, for the love of the gods. Stop with this. I don’t want to hear about your Fallen-style romance that’s happened generation after generation. How about some originality?
- Love triangles. Ha, did you see this coming? I hate unnecessary love triangles that pretty much just add dreadful drama to the plot. It’s a cheap trick, and it’s rarely done well.
- The plain Jane heroine. Look, I’m not saying everyone needs to be beautiful. What I am saying is that I’m sick of the main characters going all, “I’m so plain and ugly, no one notices me” only to have dozens of characters along the way tell her how beautiful she is. Seriously, is physical appearance the only thing worth noting about our protagonists?
- The love interest’s ex is a hellcat. Really, this is almost as bad as the petty love triangle drama.
- Flecks of [insert cool colour] in people’s eyes. You know what I call this? Mary Sue eyes. Chill out, author, brown eyes are fine. (Also, excessive green eyes in contemporary novels. Aren’t only 2% of people green-eyed in our world?)
- Oh no, arranged marriage! Listen, if you’re in a society that’s always had arranged marriages, you expect them. I don’t understand why these heroines act so horrified about their suitors when, realistically, they should have always known. It’s been done way too many times. And I just know it’ll lead right back to some kind of love triangle. No thanks.
- Super Evil Queen Who is Super Evil. At least give her some depth?
What tropes you do want to stop reading?