Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
YA sci-fi is pretty dystopian-oriented, which was nice for about the first five novels. After that, not so much. I really, really want to see some of these on the YA shelves:
- Cyberpunk. Some novels come close for me (Illuminae, for instance), but most of the cyberpunk YA I’ve read don’t end up working for me.
- Solarpunk. Granted, this is a relatively new concept, but I think we could get some great YA reads out of this. Perfect departure from the overused dystopian!
- A space opera novel with interplanetary politics. I’m thinking Inherit the Stars, but I didn’t like that book so much. Perhaps something along the lines of the explosive, awesome Starkillers Cycle, or more Red Rising-like books?
- Worlds with aliens. This is sort of an add-on to the previous one, but if you’re going to have interplanetary sci-fi you might as well go the extra mile. I mean, it’s mathematically probable. And we have weird fantasy creatures all the time! Weird sci-fi creatures isn’t that alien a concept. Pun intended.
- Digital realities. I know there are some of these (Under the Never Sky touches upon this, IIRC) but I’d love to see more.
There’s a whole galaxy of technological possibilities out there! Let’s not just go for the typical dystopian or the occasional zombie apocalypse movie, okay?